If you're looking for a seafood subscription that offers wild-caught or sustainably farmed options, then you've come to the right place! Oftentimes, it can be quite difficult to come by exactly what you want in your local grocery store, as most times general stores carry only farmed fish or have an extremely limited variety of wild-caught fish that operates on a rotating schedule. On top of that, it's quite hard to know where exactly the fish and seafood in most stores come from, which can lead to consumers doubting their overall quality, as well as safety.
Thankfully, there are several brands that offer either seafood subscription boxes or recurring seafood delivery services that provide customers with a more extensive list of options for seafood, that are mostly wild-caught and sourced using the highest quality standards available. Here we review the best seafood subscriptions available today that are well-known for their sustainable fishery practices, many of them being certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) or deemed Best Choice or Good Alternative by Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch. The first few brands are seafood-specific whereas the remaining brands include seafood options as a part of their menu but are mostly focused on protein bundles that are meat-centric.
1. Vital Box by Vital Choice - Best Overall Wild-Caught Seafood Subscription Box
Best For: Consumers who only eat wild-caught fish and seafood.
Price: Starts at $129.00 per month. Sign up here!
About the Box: Vital Choice offers a sustainably caught, wild seafood subscription. There are absolutely no traces of farmed fish or seafood in any of its boxes, and Vital Choice only works with fisheries that are certified sustainable or designated sustainable by authorities like the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program.
Customers can choose from among 3 main options for the Vital Box:
- Wild Salmon Box ($129/month) - Includes 2-3 products (10-14 servings) of select salmon species, plus a rotating spotlight on lox, sockeye burgers, salmon sausage, and bacon.
- Wild Fish Box ($169/month) - Includes 4-5 products (14-16 servings) of salmon, white fish, and tuna, curated from a master list of more than a dozen wild fish species.
- Wild Seafood Box ($199/month) - Includes 6-7 products (18-22 servings) of salmon, white fish, and tuna, plus a rotating spotlight on wild shrimp, prawns, scallops, and calamari.
Something to keep in mind about this seafood subscription is that although it offers some of the highest quality wild seafood available, it does not allow customers to personalize their subscription by adding in or removing certain food items. Rather, each subscription box is curated by Vital Choice and the only form of customization available is in the type of box you choose.
Check out our Vital Choice details and reviews to learn more!
2. Sizzlefish - Best Variety Seafood Subscription Box
Best For: Consumers who mostly want to eat wild-caught fish and seafood but also want greater customization options for their subscription box.
Price: Starts at $119.95/month. Sign up here!
About the Box: If you're looking for another seafood subscription that offers mostly wild-caught seafood but allows further customization, then Sizzlefish is definitely worth a try. Although Vital Choice is the optimal seafood subscription box for wild-caught seafood, it definitely falls short when it comes to allowing customers to be able to build their own boxes. Sizzlefish, on the other hand, offers almost all wild-caught seafood other than its Atlantic salmon, rainbow trout, and catfish (which are all sustainably farmed) and it's partnered with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program.
Sizzlefish offers the following 3 seafood subscription boxes:
- Wild Fish Favorites Box ($119.95/month) - Includes 10-14 servings of fish and seafood select from a monthly curated menu.
- Sizzlefish Prime Subscription ($125.86 or $223.72/month) - Includes 14 or 28 servings of fish and seafood. You can build your own box and choose from among the following options: Salmon, Trout, Catfish, Haddock, Atlantic Cod, Wild Gulf Shrimp, Sea Scallops, or Crab Cakes.
- Sizzlefish Prime Plus Subscription ($139.86 or $251.72/month) - Includes 14 or 28 servings of fish and seafood from a more expansive list of options. You can build your own box and choose from among the following options: Coho Salmon, Sockeye Salmon, Atlantic Cod, Haddock, Trout, Catfish, Wild Gulf Shrimp, Crab Cakes, Scallops, Halibut, Rockfish, Red Snapper, and Sablefish (Black Cod).
Check out our Sizzlefish details and reviews to learn more!
3. Crowd Cow - Best Custom Meat And Seafood Subscription Box
Best For: Customers who want full customization and can also add in other food items.
Price: Individual seafood items vary in price from $5.99 for items like Wild Sockeye Salmon up to $152 for premium items such as Wild Alaskan Red King Crab (2lbs). Most boxes average $100 or more per month depending on the items you select. Sign up here!
About the Box: Crowd Cow is a meat and seafood subscription box service that allows customers to build their own boxes by adding in individual food items, rather than purchasing curated subscription boxes. Customers can choose as few or as many food items as they wish, but shipping is only free for orders that exceed $99.
Crowd Cow offers many options for wild-caught and sustainable fish and seafood. Here are some examples of the seafood items you can choose from:
- Extra Jumbo Oishii Shrimp - $15.67/lb
- Wild Atlantic Sea Scallops -$60.80/2 lbs
- Wild Maine Lobster Tail Pair - $27.55/8 oz
- Icelandic Arctic Char - $19.00/12 oz
- Premium Seafood Lover Box - $274.07/7.125 lbs (Contains Coho Salmon Whole Fillet, Wild Maine Lobster Tail Pair, Wild Alaskan Red King Crab, Extra Jumbo Oishii Shrimp, and Wild Atlantic Sea Scallops)
Check out our Crowd Cow details and reviews to learn more!
4. Greensbury - Best Organic Meat And Wild-Caught Seafood Subscription Box
Best For: People who want to subscribe to individual seafood items or don't mind purchasing subscription boxes that are tailored mostly to meat but also contain some seafood as well.
Price: Prices depend on whether you choose to sign-up for a subscription box or select a subscription option for individual items. Pricing starts at $13.99 for individual items whereas subscription boxes start at $171.99. Sign up here!
About the Box: Greensbury is best known for its organic grass-fed beef and free-range poultry selection, but it also offers options for wild-caught and sustainably sourced seafood as well. All seafood sold by Greensbury is certified by the Marine Stewardship Council or marked sustainable by the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program.
Greensbury offers the following 8 seafood items for individual product purchases or subscriptions:
- Wild-Caught Cod - $13.99 for 2 X 6oz filets
- Wild Sockeye Salmon - $18.99 for 2 X 6oz filets
- Wild-Caught Yellowfish Tuna - $14.99 for 2 X 6oz steaks
- Wild-Caught Sea Scallops - $39.99 for 1lbs
- Wild-Caught Shrimp - $52.99 for 2lbs
- Wild-Caught Halibut - $26.99 for 2 X 6oz filets
- Atlantic Salmon - $16.99 for 2 X 6oz filets
- Wild-Caught Lobster Tails - $48.99 for 2 X 6oz servings
Customers can also choose 1 of 5 subscription boxes, however, only 2 contain seafood so it's a better option for most people to subscribe to individual items instead.
Check out our Greensbury details and reviews to learn more!
5. Good Chop - Best Meat And Seafood Subscription Box For Large Portions
Best For: People who want the largest portion sizes possible for a meat and seafood subscription.
Price: Starts at $149.00/month. Sign up here!
ACTIVE DEAL: Get $100 off high quality American meat and seafood. No coupon needed - just use this link.
About the Box: Good Chop sells subscription boxes for meat and seafood that contain more portions on average than its competitors. Consumers can choose between the following subscription plans that are fully customizable:
- Medium Box ($149/month) - Best for individuals and small families. You can select up to 6 items and each box provides up to 36 portions (9 - 14 lbs).
- Large Box ($269/month) - Best for larger families or people who have tons of extra freezer space. You can select up to 12 items and each box provides up to 72 portions (up to 26 lbs).
Although most food options offered by Good Chop are beef or poultry, you can select from the following seafood items that are MSC- and ASC-certified and either wild-caught on U.S. coasts or raised in U.S. farms:
- Wild-caught Alaskan sockeye salmon
- Wild-caught rockfish
- Wild-caught pacific coldwater shrimp
- Wild-caught specific cod
- Wild-caught sea scallops
Check out our Good Chop details and reviews to learn more!
Looking for more food subscription boxes? Check out these articles: