Everything You Need to Know About the Best Budget Meal Subscription Box
If you're looking for an easy and convenient way to get dinner on the table, meal kits are great solution. Sadly, the price per meal can be quite high. Those that feature organic ingredients or cater to special diets can cost well over $10.00 per serving, which isn't all that friendly on the wallet. Luckily, meal kits don't have to break the bank. EveryPlate is a meal kit delivery service that specializes in affordable meals that are also kid-friendly. They cut the cost way down and offer meals for less than half the price of some of the more expensive subscriptions.
We've been reviewing meal kits here at My Subscription Addiction for years, and we know our stuff. We've published reviews on the most expensive meal delivery subscriptions as well as the more budget-friendly options. There are delicious meals to be had at every price point, but EveryPlate is one of our favorite low-cost options. But is EveryPlate right for you?
In this EveryPlate review, we'll tap into our subscription expertise to help you answer that question. We'll look at Everyplate's claims that their meals are "crowdpleasing" and can help you "save time" and "save money." We’ll consider things like cost, recipes, difficulty level, convenience, and taste to help you determine if EveryPlate is the best meal kit service for you. We'll even look at competitors in the space to see if there's another meal kit that might be a better fit. Now, let’s launch into this EveryPlate review!
ACTIVE DEAL: Limited Time Only! Try Everyplate at $1.49/meal on 1st box + 20% off next 2 boxes!
This box was sent to us at no cost for review. (Check out our review process post to learn more about how we review boxes.)
EveryPlate Pros & Cons
- EveryPlate is a meal kit delivery service that sends you all the tasty ingredients you need to make meals that are quick and easy.
- If you're looking for a low-cost way to get dinner on the table, EveryPlate is one of the most affordable meal kits on the market.
- There are 26 easy recipes to choose from every week.
- Looking for kid-friendly meals? EveryPlate's recipes are designed with picky eaters in mind, and they're great for families.
- Signing up for an EveryPlate subscription helps you save time on meal planning, cuts down on food waste, and helps ease mealtime stress.
- You can add additional protein to your weekly order (i.e. chicken breasts, ground beef, etc.).
- It's easy to pause or cancel your subscription online.
- EveryPlate doesn't offer a ton of accommodation for those with special diets.
- While you'll find a couple of vegetarian options, other meal kit services are better for vegans or vegetarians.
- Ingredients are fresh and tasty, but EveryPlate's meals don't feature organic ingredients very often.
All About EveryPlate
How does EveryPlate work?
In this EveryPlate review, we'll go over all the things you need to know about this meal kit delivery service, but in case you're new to meal kits, let's start with a quick overview of how EveryPlate works. The first thing to know is that EveryPlate is a recurring subscription.
When you sign up for the EveryPlate box,, you're agreeing to receive meal kits on an ongoing basis. You'll enter your credit card information when you join, and you'll continue to be charged until you decide to cancel. Here are the steps you can expect to follow when you sign up for EveryPlate:
- Choose your plan and personalize it: when you join EveryPlate, you'll set up the details of your subscription. How many people do you need to feed? Do you want vegetarian meals? You're invited to personalize your plan to make sure it works for you.
- Set your weekly delivery day: most subscribers will have several different delivery days to choose from. Some people prefer to receive meals at the very start of the week, while others like to receive deliveries mid-week. You can select your preferred weekly delivery day when you join.
- Pick your meals for the upcoming week: after you enter your dining preferences, EveryPlate will automatically pick meals for you each week. However, you can always log in, override your auto-picks, and hand-select your own meals.
- Check back regularly to skip weeks or set your menu for upcoming deliveries: don't want to receive a box every single week? No problem. Log into your account to manage your upcoming deliveries. In your account portal, you'll be able to skip shipments, pick out what meals you'd like to receive, or cancel your subscription.
How much does EveryPlate cost?
When you sign up for a subscription to EveryPlate, you'll first need to decide how many people you want to serve with each meal and how many meals you'd like to receive each week. EveryPlate costs $4.99 per serving with $9.99 shipping - yes, it's basically the most affordable meal kit out there. You'll also receive over 50% off on your first EveryPlate Box by using our link and promo code. You can also choose to add on premium meals which cost an additional $4.99 - $6.99 per serving.
Here's what that looks like for a variety of meal plans:
- 2 PERSON PLANS:
- 3 meals per week, 2 servings each, for $44.94 + $9.99 shipping
- 4 meals per week, 2 servings each, for $55.92 + $9.99 shipping
- 5 meals per week, 2 servings each, for $64.90 + $9.99 shipping
- 4 PERSON FAMILY PLANS:
- 3 meals per week, 4 servings each, for $71.88 + $9.99 shipping
- 4 meals per week, 4 servings each, for $87.84 + $9.99 shipping
- 5 meals per week, 4 servings each, for $99.80 + $9.99 shipping
ACTIVE DEAL: Limited Time Only! Try Everyplate at $1.49/meal on 1st box + 20% off next 2 boxes!
Does EveryPlate have different plans available?
With EveryPlate, there are two main plans to choose from: the Two-Person Plan and the Family Plan. The Two-Person Plan sends meals to feed two people, and the Family Plan sends enough to feed four. It's that simple. There aren't any additional options available.
Where and how does EveryPlate ship?
EveryPlate delivers to most of the contiguous U.S. You can check to see if EveryPlate delivers to your zip code while signing up.
Good to know:
- Delivery days vary by area, but most subscribers will have several options to choose from. You can change your preferred delivery day at any time.
- A signature is not required, and you don't have to be home to accept the box.
- Food is kept cold in transit with insulated liners and frozen gel packs.
How is an EveryPlate delivery packaged?
EveryPlate delivery boxes and separators are recyclable, and the outside plastic wrap of the ice packs is recyclable, too, as long as you first drain the gel filling into the trash can. Parts of the box liners are also recyclable (just make sure to discard the cotton lining before recycling the outer plastic film).
What recipes does EveryPlate offer?
EveryPlate publishes a menu each week with 26 different recipes to choose from. Homestyle classics and kid-friendly offerings abound. You'll likely see one or two vegetarian options, but meat-free meals are not a focus and EveryPlate does not claim to cater to vegetarian diets. In addition to your weekly meals, you can purchase additional proteins as an add-on.
Here are some recent meals we've spotted at EveryPlate:
- Sticky-Sweet Chili Chicken with Scallion Rice & Zesty Carrots
- Kung Pao Beef Bowls with Green Bell Pepper & Peanuts
- Pork And Poblano Tacos with Pico de Gallo and Garlic Sour Cream
- BBQ Pork Sloppy Joes with Pickled Onion & Potato Wedges
- Dijon Butter Steak with Rosemary Potatoes & Roasted Green Beans
- Diner-Style Chicken & Gravy with Garlic Mashed Potatoes & Lemon Butter Peas
Are EveryPlate recipes hard?
EveryPlate takes a simple and straightforward approach to their recipe cards. Every meal you choose will be accompanied by a two-sided card that outlines ingredients, extras you’ll need to provide, cooking time, allergen information, and step-by-step instructions. The recipes are easy to follow, and the meals are often a bit more streamlined than the average meal delivery subscription (due to fewer ingredients), which simplifies the cooking process.
What ingredients and tools does EveryPlate NOT provide?
When you sign up for a EveryPlate subscription, you'll receive most of what you need to get dinner on the table. Meal kits include produce, meat, spices, and sauces; however, there are a few things you'll be expected to provide yourself. Salt, pepper, water, and oil are not provided, and we recommend checking recipes after ordering to check for additional items you may need to provide yourself. In addition to these basic ingredients, you'll also be expected to have essential kitchen tools available like cutting boards, knives, bowls, baking trays, vegetable peelers, zesters, measuring cups, and pots and pans.
Does EveryPlate accommodate dietary restrictions like allergies?
EveryPlate calls out potential allergens in their recipe cards and online. If you have food allergies, make sure you read through recipes thoroughly and use your best discretion, especially if your allergies are severe.
Is EveryPlate's food tasty?
EveryPlate is one of the least expensive meal kits on the market, but you might not guess that from their menu. Every week, you'll find a selection of mouthwatering homestyle meals. Comfort classics dominate the menu, but most meals have a bit of an adventurous streak. (Though, not so adventurous that they depart the realm of kid-friendly.) One thing to be aware of is that dishes often contain rice, potatoes, or pasta. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, of course, and it makes sense for an affordable meal kit to pad out dishes with low-cost ingredients. But it's worth keeping in mind.
Is EveryPlate convenient?
EveryPlate is definitely convenient. When you receive meals from EveryPlate, you'll save time meal planning and grocery shopping, and picking meals from an online selection helps streamline the weeknight dinner process. If you ever struggle to plan a menu for the week, feel like you need new recipe inspiration, or don't feel like hitting up the grocery store, EveryPlate will most certainly add convenience to your routine.
Does EveryPlate have an app?
EveryPlate has an app that allows you to manage your account on the go. You can browse upcoming menus, lock in your recipe choices, and skip deliveries. Recipes are also available through the app.
What do MSA reviewers say about EveryPlate?
We've had a couple different writers try EveryPlate. Curious about what they have to say?
Marne's EveryPlate Review
- Review expertise: Marne is a writer and esthetician who's written a lot of beauty reviews for MSA, but she's also something of a foodie. As an adventurous eater, she's always happy to step in and cook up a meal kit, and she's certainly tried her share of them. She's reviewed dozens of meal kits for MSA, and she tried EveryPlate in 2019.
- Eating profile: Marne eats anything and everything, though she's not always the biggest fan of vegetables. Her food choices tend to skew towards comfort foods. She says, "I tend to eat a lot of heavy foods like lasagna, pizza, hoagies, etc."
- Thoughts on EveryPlate meals: In her EveryPlate review from 2019, Marne picked out a variety of different meals to try. Let's take a look at what she had to say about a few of them.
- Party Thyme Steak with Garlic Ciabatta and Roasted Green Beans- Marne's first meal pick was a premium recipe, and it was a winner. She loved the garlic bread, and she raved about the quality of the steak. She says, "I was really impressed with the cut of meat. It was tender and tasted great! I had my friend Charles come over for dinner, and he gobbled the whole thing down. He was so impressed by it that a week later, he called me to get the name of the meal kit so he could order it."
- Gravy Lover's Meatballs with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Broccoli- This meal was another winner for Marne. Due, in part, to her meatball obsession. "I crave meatballs almost daily, so my mouth watered when I saw this recipe. What I appreciated most from these ingredients was that the broccoli was already cut up into bite-size pieces. Not having to dissect a head of broccoli really cut down on prep time. Here at the My Subscription Addiction office, we joked about the single, plastic-wrapped slice of white “American bread” that I got with this recipe. It seemed sad out of the box, but the slice of bread made itself useful inside the meatballs. I marveled at the creamy mashed potatoes and homemade meatballs and gravy I made. I took the other serving over to a friend close by who hadn’t had dinner yet. Even slightly cold and a few hours old, he thought it was fantastic."
- Gooey Stuffed Pork Burgers with BBQ Onion and Crispy Potato Wedges - Last up, Marne went with pork burgers, and she ended up tweaking the recipe to accommodate her dislike of onions. "Since I’m not a fan of onions, I skipped cooking the yellow onion they’d supplied as a burger topping and opted to pile more cheese on top of my (already-cheese-stuffed) burger instead. I’d say I’m pretty confident in the kitchen with meal kits these days, so I know exactly where I can stray and where I should follow the recipe. Fresh-cut potato wedge fries are a favorite of mine, and burgers are just simple and classic. (However, these were made with ground pork instead of beef.) This was an easy recipe to eat as a leftover for lunch, and the leftovers hit the spot even a day later."
- Verdict: Marne tried EveryPlate for a full week, and she walked away a big fan. Here's what she had to say about the food: "These recipes were honestly all delicious, and everyone I shared them with agreed. While these meals may not be as adventurous or health-conscious as some other meal kits I’ve tried, I’m a midwestern “meat ‘n’ potatoes” kinda gal, and these meals reminded me of the stuff my mom would cook when I was a kid. Simple, but super tasty." Marne was willing to put her money where her mouth is. After reviewing EveryPlate, she decided to keep on subscribing on her own dime. "After one-week of trying five different EveryPlate meals, I’m super impressed with how much I loved the meals, especially at such a good price. I liked EveryPlate so much that I decided to keep on subscribing to get more!"
My EveryPlate Review
- Review expertise: I've been writing food reviews for My Subscription Addiction since 2014, and I know my way around the kitchen. I've tried a lot of meal kits over the years, and I tend to approach meal kits with a critical eye.
- Eating profile: I eat anything and everything, though my favorite meals tend to feature global flavors and interesting techniques. I'm also a sucker for comfort foods like pizza and tacos.
- Thoughts on EveryPlate meals: I received a box from EveryPlate in preparation for this review, and I selected the following meals: Sweet Chili Pork Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw and Zesty Crema & Peanut, Cajun Chicken Sausage Linguine with Monterey Jack, and Crispy Caesar Chicken with Roasted Carrots & Garlic Mashed Potatoes. I've tried low-cost meal kits before, and usually the box feels a little light or the meals seem very simple. With EveryPlate, even though the cost was low, I wouldn't have guessed it from what was inside the box. The meals felt substantial and complete, and the recipes were interesting enough to be intriguing. They built flavors in interesting ways and were very tasty.
- Verdict: Overall, I'm pretty impressed with EveryPlate. The meals are delicious and the recipes offer a bit more than just barebones cooking. Are these the healthiest or most adventurous meals available in the meal kit world? Definitely not. As someone who enjoys those things, I'm not sure EveryPlate would be the best kit for me personally. I do love my comfort foods, but I think with time I might prefer more complex recipes. That said, I think EveryPlate is a great pick for families and those who want tasty, uncomplicated meals.
Looking for more EveryPlate reviews? Here's what MSA readers have to say
At MSA, we don't just publish our own in-house reviews. We also invite our readers to rate and review the meal kits they've tried. Here's what some of our readers had to say about EveryPlate (we've made sure to include positive and negative reviews):
"We have experienced two boxes with 5- meals each in them and every meal was delicious! I do not say that lightly, I am an experienced good cook and we were pretty impressed. The packages came in on time and at proper temperature for meats. All the vegetables have been fresh and of good quality. I contacted their customer service phone number had to wait about 10 mins (understandable due to virus times) and the representative was very kind, professional and helpful. I also tried their chat with a quick question and was not as successful. The meals are packed properly and made simple. Each meal has the amount of time for prep and cooking on it. We are experienced with trying most boxes out there for the last 4 years and I was very impressed with Every Plates value!! The only thing holding me back is lack of assurance that they would be providing antibiotic/hormone free meats. If I could have that assurance we would continue with Every Plate as our #1 meal supplier." -Debster
"I've tried so many different meal subscription kits and this one is the one we have ended up sticking with. It is truly the best bang for your buck!" -Jordan
"Love their menus and prices! Before using this, I hardly ever cooked. I hated everything about it, starting with going to the grocery store to buy a bunch food that I wouldn't even know how to put together into a decent meal. Now I don't have to worry about any of that, nor thinking on what to cook for the week, or throwing away food that has gone bad... Now I just grab today's recipe and cook with every ingredient at hand." - Ruben Cedeno
"My experience with EveryPlate so far has been great! I’ve been using the service for around 6 weeks. While I have to agree with some of the other reviews stating that the flavor profiles can tend to be similar, this is obviously a trade-off in terms of pricing. When I began to notice this, I simply changed up my options – I had been choosing mostly rice-based meals, and by expanding my horizons a bit I got a lot more variety! Shipments have been timely, and I haven’t experienced any problems with temperature – which is saying something, since I live in Arizona and my delivery generally arrives 2-3 hours before I get home. The packages are insulated well enough that the food survives that long in the Arizona summer sun! One of my only complaints is that there are generally only 2 vegetarian options each week. I usually don’t prepare meat (not vegetarian, just don’t like dealing with meat and try to minimize my environmental impact). Had it not been for COVID-19, I probably wouldn’t have tried this service because of this one shortcoming. The addition of just one more veggie meal each week, or even the option to customize other meals to exclude the meat in favor of a veggie protein, would make this a lot more appealing in the long run." - Stephanie
"I gave Everyplate a try after Hello Fresh and Home Chef. The first thing I noticed was how similar they are to Hello Fresh - almost identical packaging and partnerships and a very similar website. The only difference appeared to be the lower quality ingredients. The 1st week we happened to stick with their meal reco. The box delivered on time and the food was ok. The 2nd week we opted to edit the list and build our own menu. Lo’ and behold, for week 2, we received double the number of boxes we ordered. One contained the default menu and the other contained our edited menu. They’d also CHARGED ME TWICE. I reached out to find that they refused to give any kind of refund for the box sent in error. After much back-forth, they agreed to give me a 20% refund on one box but expected me to pay 80% of the charge for their mistake - for food we did not want. I immediately canceled. Terrible customer service. Penny wise and pound foolish." - Jen
"I’ve read many of the comments and am surprised that nobody is concerned about the environmental impact. Just to name a few: specialized box with foil linig; all those little plastic packets of soy sauce, etc.; big plastic bags holding the refrigerated goop; electricity to freeze the goop; transportation to their centers and to our homes. I’m sure there’s more but really, do we need all this waste?" - Barry
"Compared to other recipe boxes, every plate has a lot of comparatively cheap ingredients — onions, garlic, potatoes, rice, etc. There also isn’t a ton of variety (again, thats the company trying to keep costs down while offering sufficient weekly choices). Some recipes — like the ground pork sandwiches — don’t even have a real vegetable side. Other recipe services might have shipped something low cost like cabbage for coleslaw with that mean, but every plate didn’t even do that!" - Amy
If you'd like to learn more about EveryPlate and read even more reader reviews, you can visit our EveryPlate brand page here.
How do other meal delivery services compare to EveryPlate?
If you like the idea of a meal kit delivery service, but you're not sure EveryPlate is the right subscription for you, there are a few competitors that might be a better fit.
EveryPlate vs. HelloFresh
Like EveryPlate, HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery subscription that provides delicious, crowd-pleasing meal kits to cook at home. It's one of the most popular meal subscription services out there, and the weekly menu is huge. Let's outline some of the key differences between these two subscriptions:
- Menu size: EveryPlate's menu is sizable, but HelloFresh's is even larger. With 27+ recipes to choose from every week, HelloFresh has the biggest menu around.
- The food: Both companies send tasty meals that our reviewers love, but the "vibe" is a little bit different. EveryPlate sends kid-friendly meals and comfort foods, while HelloFresh is more likely to feature international dishes and global flavors.
- Price: HelloFresh is priced competitively, with meals that average $8.99 per serving, but EveryPlate costs less. (EveryPlate costs $4.99 per serving.)
EveryPlate vs. Home Chef
Like EveryPlate, Home Chef often features comfort classics that are good for picky eaters, but these meal kits differ quite a lot. Let's take a closer look at the differences between these meal kit subscriptions:
- Customization: If you'd like to have the flexibility to swap out proteins or add additional meats to your meals, Home Chef might be a better meal kit for you.
- Recipe complexity: Home Chef's recipes aren't expert-level by any means, but compared to EveryPlate's easy recipes, they can sometimes be a bit more challenging. (Check out the difficulty rating on Home Chef's meals if you want to keep things beginner-level.)
- Price: Most Home Chef meals cost $9.95 per serving, roughly twice the cost of EveryPlate.
EveryPlate vs. Dinnerly
If affordability is a must-have, check out Dinnerly, another wallet-friendly meal kit delivery service with crowd-pleasing meal options and kid-friendly entrees. Dinnerly cuts out unnecessary expenses to keep their per-meal price low, and it's a great choice for those on a budget. Let's see how these two subscriptions stack up:
- Price: EveryPlate meals cost $4.99 per serving, and Dinnerly starts at $4.69 per serving.
- Menu size: EveryPlate features 14 different recipes each week, Dinnerly has 16 on the menu.
- Meals: EveryPlate meals are tasty, but low-cost ingredients are often included to keep costs down. Expect to see lots of rice, potatoes, and carrots on the menu. Dinnerly also features simple ingredients, but you're more likely to see handhelds like sandwiches and taquitos.
Is EveryPlate worth it?
We've covered a lot of info in this EveryPlate review, but one big question remains: is EveryPlate worth it?
If you're on a budget or looking for a low-cost meal kit, EveryPlate is a great choice. The recipes are kid-friendly and delicious, and the menu is large and full of options that will work for picky eaters. If you enjoy comfort foods, you'll probably really enjoy the meals from EveryPlate.
The food can sometimes feel a little basic, and the recipes often incorporate inexpensive ingredients like rice, potatoes, and carrots, but the food tastes good. If you're looking for a super healthy meal kit that regularly incorporates green vegetables, this might not be the meal kit for you; however, if you're simply after delicious meals that are satisfying and easy to make, EveryPlate is more likely to suit your diet and lifestyle. Both our writers and the MSA community have given EveryPlate their stamp of approval, and quite a few people have called out the impressive low pricing. If you're after tasty meals that won't break the bank, you really can't go wrong with EveryPlate. If you're ready to sign up, just make sure you understand that you're signing up for a subscription. You'll be charged every week (unless you skip) until you decide to cancel.
Ready to subscribe? Make sure to sign up using our coupon below to ensure you get the best deal.
You can try EveryPlate for yourself here:
ACTIVE DEAL: Limited Time Only! Try Everyplate at $1.49/meal on 1st box + 20% off next 2 boxes!
Have you tried EveryPlate? Head to the comments section and let us know!