Blueland Review: Do These Green Cleaning Products Work?
Everything You Need to Know About This Green Cleaning Kit
- Less plastic waste
- Simplified, color-coded cleaning
- Cheap refills that run $0.10/oz.
- Safe for children, women who are pregnant, and pets
- No liquid to ship
- Only one scent available for each product
- Higher cost to get started
I’m always a bit wary when it comes to “green” cleaning products as to whether they actually sanitize and clean my space, but after reading about Blueland‘s eco-friendly mission, I had to try the products for myself.
Blueland believes that a “cleaner planet starts at home” and that we can all make an environmental impact by lessening our plastic waste and being mindful about the products we purchase and use daily. Blueland is started by a mother and she understands that while you want a clean home, you also one that isn’t achieved by hazardous chemicals. Blueland wants to make this transition and use of eco-friendly products as easy and simple as possible via the subscription to their cleaning boxes.
In this Blueland review, we will try every product and provide feedback on the product’s effectiveness, price, and packaging to help see if this is the right cleaning box subscription for you. We’ll even look at other cleaning subscription boxes to see how they measure up to Blueland and if they’re a better fit for you and your lifestyle. Now, let’s get into this Blueland review.
This box was sent to us at no cost for review. (Check out our review process post to learn more about how we review boxes.)
Blueland Pros & Cons
- BPA-free bottles
- Recyclable or compostable packaging
- Certified by several different environmental agencies
Here are the ingredients in the products featured in this review:
Bathroom Cleaner: Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, D-Glucono-1,5-lactone, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Polyethylene Glycol, Leucine, Fragrance, Hydrated Silica, Alcohol Ethoxylated, MCT Oil, Polymeric Pink
Glass and Mirror Cleaner: Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, D-Glucono-1,5-lactone, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Polyethylene Glycol, Leucine, Isopropylidene Glycerol, Polymeric Blue
Multi-Surface Cleaner: Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, D-Glucono-1,5-lactone, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Polyethylene Glycol, Leucine, Fragrance, Hydrated Silica, Alcohol Ethoxylated, MCT Oil, Polymeric Yellow
Foaming Hand Soap: Citric Acid, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Benzoate, Algin, Polyethylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
Laundry Tablets: Sodium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Subtilisin, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Alcohols, C12-14, Ethoxylated, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Amylase, Mannanase, Pectate Lyase, Lauryl/Myristyl Glucoside, Hydrated Silica, Cellulase
Dishwashing Tablets: Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Silicate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Sorbitan Caprylate, Sodium Carboxymethyl Inulin, Subtilisin, Lauryl/Myristyl Glucoside, Amylase, Hydrated Silica
Power Dish Soap: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Methyl Oleyl Taurate, Hydrated Silica, Caprylyl/Caprylyl Glucoside, Lauryl Glucoside
- Fragrance included in some products
- Have to mix the products yourself
- Cleaning tablets didn’t always fully dissolve in water
- Refills may take a few days to come in so you might want to order refills before your bottles are empty.
All About Blueland
How did Blueland get started?
The Blueland Cleaning Company was born out of a need to find products that were both eco-friendly and effective while also reducing the global impact of plastic waste. So far, the company has helped to eliminate over 1 million single use plastic bottles from landfills and the ocean since 2019.
All of their ingredients for each product are easily accessible on the site along with the following information:
- Made without parabens, phosphates, ammonia, VOCs, chlorine bleach, or phthalates.
- Sources from ingredients that are vegan, gluten-free, soy/nut free.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified, Leaping Bunny (cruelty free)
How does the Blueland subscription work?
One of the best parts about Blueland is how easy it is to find the cleaning kit that is right for you and have it delivered to your home at your preference. You can pick which product kit you’d like to purchase out of six different options so you can find the one that best fits your life and cleaning style.
Then, choose how often you’d like refills to be delivered to you. You can select delivery for every 1, 2, 3, or 4 months. Enter your shipping and billing information, and your cleaning kit will be delivered right to your home.
You can cancel, pause, or skip your subscription deliveries in your account at any time by logging into you Blueland account.
How much does Blueland cost?
The cost of your Blueland subscription depends on the cleaning kit that you select. I received both The Clean Suite and The Everyday Clean Kit for my review, but select the package that best suits you and your cleaning needs.
With your Blueland subscription, you save 10% on the initial order AND refills. Shipping is added separately and calculated at checkout.
- The Clean Suite is $74 for the first purchase and subsequent purchases are $41.00.
- The Everyday Clean Kit is $62 for the first purchase and subsequent purchases are $28.80.
- The Clean Essentials Kit is $35 for the first purchase and subsequent purchases are $7.20.
- The Clean Up Kit is $27 for the first purchase and subsequent purchases are $7.20.
- The Hand Soap Duo is $27 for the first purchase and subsequent purchases are $9.90.
- The Dish Duo is $32 for the first purchase and subsequent purchases are $21.60.
Please note that Blueland’s Starter Sets and Refill Packs are not available on a subscription basis at this time.
Where and how does Blueland ship?
Blueland ships anywhere in the United States including Alaska and Hawaii. They ship 2-3 business days after receiving your order. Depending on where you live, you can expect to have your order delivered to you in 7 – 10 business days.
Good to Know:
- Free shipping on any order over $35
- For orders less than $35, shipping costs anywhere from 99 cent to $3.99 depending on the refill or package
- Two day expedited shipping is available for an additional $15 to $20 depending on the package.
- You can track your order anytime once it has shipped by logging into your Blueland account
How are the Blueland Products Packaged?
Blueland is all about low waste and the anatomy of their boxes reflects that as they are made of recyclable cardboard paper, , paper based tape, and compostable packaging so that they remain low impact on the environment. The company has been carbon neutral since 2020 and Climate Neutral Certified since 2021. Products are delivered in small and compostable packages so the impact on the environment is minimal. Also, there’s no water included in the packages as water is a finite resource.
The Blueland products I received: The Clean Suite & The Everyday Clean
I received a double whammy of products with “The Clean Suite” (priced at $74.00) and “The Everyday Clean” (priced at $62.00). These sets came with a multi-surface cleaner, bathroom cleaner, a mirror and glass cleaner, hand soap, dishwashing powder, dishwashing tablets, and laundry tablets.
The bottles and tins are a one-time purchase of either $32.60 or $33.20 depending on the subscription box you select, and the refills are every one to four months with a cost of $41.40 for “The Clean Suite” box and a refill cost of every one to four months of $28.80 for “The Everyday Clean” box. You also can choose a one-time purchase of either box and go back for refills at a later date. The flexibility of Blueland is definitely one of the perks.
How to Mix Your Own Cleaning Products:
Mixing your own cleaning products can sound time consuming or complicated, but Blueland included simple directions to follow with these low waste instruction cards. You simply fill the bottles up to the water line with warm (not hot or cold) water, indicted by a cute color coordinated circle on each bottle, and then drop the color-coordinated tablet into the bottle to dissolve. You don’t even have to stir or mix the tablet into the water. You simply let it dissolve. It took my tablets about five minutes to fully dissolve which gave me time to unload my dishwasher and fold some laundry. Then you simply screw on the color-coordinated top and your cleaning products are ready to use. You may wonder why the products don’t come with water included, but Blueland wants to leave the smallest carbon footprint possible and doesn’t want to waste the world’s water shipping it to you, not to mention the possibility of leaks.
The Forever Bottle and Cleaning Tabs
The Forever Bottles Plus Cleaning Tablets: All of the forever bottles come in these gorgeous color coded and reusable twenty-four ounce tritan bottles. You only buy the bottle once, hence why they are called “Forever Bottles” and you simply buy refill tablets when your bottles are empty. You never have to worry about mixing the wrong tablet or grabbing the wrong cleaner as they’re all clearly labeled. The tablets all come in small and compostable packages so the impact on the environment is minimal.
Do Blueland products work?
I used the multi-surface cleaner in both my kitchen and living room table with great results. The mess was cleaned up with no residue left behind. I was able to clean my kitchen counter and my wood dining table with this one product. However, there was a strong fresh lemon fragrance with this product so if you’re sensitive to fragrance, you may not want to spray much of this product at once. The scent dissipated quickly and I wasn’t too bothered by the smell, but something to keep in mind.
I used the bathroom cleaner all over sink, toilet, and shower. It is hard to compete with the cleaning effects of a cleaning product such as bleach or Clorox, but this product really was on par with those bathroom standards. I even spilled some of the bathroom cleaner on my arm mid cleaning session and was happy to see that my skin was not irritated nor did I break out in a rash like I do while cleaning my bathroom with bleach. This product does contain a strong floral fragrance that is advertised as eucalyptus mint on the site but seemed more floral to me, especially with how much I sprayed in my bathroom at once, but the smell dissipated over time and by the time I used my shower a couple of hours later, the smell was completely gone. Which is another upside as a bleach smell can linger in your bathroom or other small spaces for a long time after cleaning. Despite how much I used in my bathroom, I did not seem to make even a dent in the twenty-four-ounce bottle.
I wondered if this glass cleaner would have a vinegar or Windex like smell, but it was completely unscented, which I loved. My closet doors are full-length mirrors and I need to use a lot of glass cleaner for them and I hate when my room smells of cleaning products. The Glass and Mirror cleaner left no streaks and removed all my of my weekly finger smudges from opening and closing my closet doors daily. I also used the product on my bathroom mirror with similar impressive results and like the bathroom cleaner, I seemed to make hardly a dent in the bottle.
The foaming hand soap comes in a slightly heavier bottle made of glass compared to the lighter tritan spray bottles. The soap also has an iris agave scent that is light and fresh. The bottle looks classic and minimal on my bathroom counter. I only have to use half a pump per hand wash and the soap does not leave my hands feeling tight or dry after use.
I placed one tablet in my lighter load of clothes and two tablets in my heavier load of towels and sheets. I loved that there was no fragrance added, as I hate lying in bed and smelling like baby powder or overpowering floral scents. My clothes were clean and there was no powdery residue left behind. Though in my lighter load, I saw a bit of the tablet had not fully dissolved in water yet but still my clothes had no residue on them and seemed to dry faster. I love that the forever-steel tin came with a packet of forty tablets as I can see this lasting much longer than regular laundry detergent. Not to mention the design of the laundry tin is minimal and classy. The laundry tablets can be used in high efficiency and standard laundry machines.
These tablets arrived in a disposable bag with the slogan, “cuts grease, grime, and plastic waste” and the forever-steel tin in a cute minimal design that can fit almost any kitchen décor. I used one tablet for a full load of dirty dishes and my dishes came out clean with no powdery residue or heavy fragrance. Forty tablets were included in the package and I think they’re a great alternative to the normal dishwashing packets that are made with a ton of plastic.
I love the slogan included on the bag, “tough on grease, easy on earth,” as The Powder was powerful but also easy on the environment. The powder came in a compostable bag and a sixteen-ounce silicone shaker. With just a few shakes on your sponge and water, you have enough cleaning power for a whole set of dirty dishes. The power lathered nicely and left no residue behind on the dishes after washing them off. I liked that there was no strong fragrance and with only needing a little powder, this product is sure to last me along time.
What do MSA reviewers say about Blueland?
We have reviewed Blueland ‘s products before. Check out what our reviewer had to say below.
- Review Expertise:Meg is a writer and has a self proclaimed, “obsession with cleaning products,” who’s written numerous reviews of eco-friendly cleaning products for MSA and was particularly impressed with the Blueland products as well.
- Thoughts on Blueland Products: In her first Blueland Review from September 2020, Meg was throughly impressed with the products. She writes, “I found that the non-toxic products Blueland offers work just as well as the cleaners I was using previously for my daily use. Having two cats, I prefer to use the most natural products I can to keep things sparkling clean around my home and these fit the bill without skimping on fighting grime. “
- Verdict: Megan received the “Clean Up Kit” and she was clearly a fan. She writes, ” If you’re not into just making your own cleaning products at home, then I think Blueland is a great option that reduces waste while still delivering on natural, quality cleaning products that work well.”
Are there alternatives to Blueland?
Blueland VS. greenUp Box
The greenUp box is a subscription box that is delivered six times per year with handpicked sustainable non-plastic alternative for the eco-conscious.
- Products: Each box is a bit different and curated around a theme so that you can focus on reducing plastic in a different area of your life each time. This can range from cleaning products to natural deodorant or body soap.
- Price: This is a bi-monthly box that costs $80.00 dollars and has vegan options as well.
- Verdict: If you want to expand your eco-conscious lifestyle outside of just cleaning products, the greenUp box is a great choice as you can dip your toes into eco-friendly options of every part of your life such as grocery shopping or products for your kitchen.
Blueland Vs. Ecocentric Mom
Ecocentric Mom is a monthly subscription box for moms or moms to be that features organic and eco-friendly goodies.
- Products: The boxes are split with products for mom and products for kids with organic skincare or makeup and blankets or toys for your infant.
- Price: Each box is $39.99 a month, but you can choose different subscriptions from three to seven to fourteen month packages.
- Verdict: If you’re a mom who is specifically on a quest for eco-friendly products for you and your infant’s lifestyle, the Ecocentric Mom box this is a great choice for you.
Blueland Vs. Cleancult
Cleancult is a green cleaning company that uses coconut-derived and non-toxic ingredients to make products for every aspect of your home.
- Products: Similar to Blueland, Cleancult products come in reusable bottles with refills that you can subscribe to order online when needed. They have more option of products available such as bar soap and even laundry drying balls.
- Price: Depends on the bundle you choose but anywhere from $49.99 to $89.99, so there is a range of options for your price and lifestyle.
- Verdict: The Cleancult products are a great choice if you’re ready to dive full force into eco-friendly cleaning products as they have the most option of products available. You can become fully eco-friendly cleaning wise with this brand, but if you just want to dip your toes in, you might want to stick with Blueland for an introduction into the eco-cleaning world.
Is Blueland worth it?
The Blueland Company said in their mission statement that they believed you could have it all when it comes to their cleaning products and I believe they succeeded. It’s hard to compete with bleach and the words “eco-friendly” and “cleaning” don’t always go together, but Blueland has managed to find the perfect combination with these products as they get the job done without the hazardous effects of bleach and a low environmental impact. A few of the cleaning products do have a strong scent, so be wary if you are sensitive to fragrance, but the scents dissipate quickly. Overall though, the Blueland Cleaning subscription is great value for your money and lessening your eco-footprint. Especially if you have children and worry about them being around the effects of harsh cleaning chemicals over time. I look forward to cleaning with these products in the future and reducing my environmental impact and plastic waste as well.
You can try Blueland for yourself here:
Have you tried Blueland? Head to the comments section and let us know how it went! Or, leave a review on the Blueland reviews page!