There's a Subscription For That is a series spotlighting subscriptions the team at My Subscription Addiction finds interesting and is excited to share with readers.
As a writer, I love reading and promoting other authors' work. I also love to help other freelance writers get gigs and secure new clients—Twitter is my mecca. So, whenever I hear about an opportunity to join a new writer- or book-based discussion group, I'm all ears.
That's why I'm sharing everything I've learned thus far about Literati, a digital book club subscription curated by visionaries, leaders, and creators from across the globe.
Here's how it started: Before Literati was an innovative book club subscription, the Austin-based company started as a simple book box subscription for young readers. During the lockdown, the company launched a successful line of celebrity-led book clubs—now, Literati features more than 17 book clubs to choose from (all of which are led by a thought leader).
Literati is unlike any book subscription box out there in that it allows subscribers to choose a virtual book club based on the "Luminary" who hosts it. The Luminary could be a celebrity, influencer, activist, creator, author, artist, etc.
Each Luminary chooses a book each month. Then, subscribers are encouraged to read and follow along via the desktop site or Literati app where they can participate in forum-style discussions (all of which are organized by chapter to prevent accidental spoilers) with other members of the book club, watch author interviews, and attend virtual events (which often include an "Ask the Author" session where members can communicate with the author directly). What's more? At the end of the month, the Luminary hosts an online discussion.
Getting started is simple: Just click "Get Started," enter your info (first and last name, email, and password), and choose a Luminary. Note: You can switch clubs any time!
Literati currently features 17 Luminaries to choose from, including:
- Stephen Curry, Underrated: Powerful, underrepresented stories about defying the odds. (Tags: Inspirational, Diverse, True Stories, Fierce Women, Fiction.)
- Malala, Fearless: Emotional stories full of hope, courage, and bold women. (Tags: Impactful, Fiction, Cultural, Romance, Identity, Coming-of-Age)
- Susan Orlean, Private Collection: Exquisite writing and unforgettable narratives you won’t want to put down. (Tags: Fiction, Literary, Experimental, Lyrical Prose, Historical, Complex)
- Richard Branson, Reading with Richard: Books to inspire the adventurous and ambitious. (Tags: Business, Adventure, Leadership, Nonconformity, Risk-Taking, History)
- Joseph Campbell, Myth & Meaning: Ideas and tales that are equal parts familiar and wonderfully peculiar. (Tags: Philosophy, Mythology, Epics, Spirituality, Cultural, Archetypes)
- Elin Hilderbrand, The Beach & Beyond: Escape into stories as intelligent as they are irresistible. (Tags: Vacation Reads, Family, Drama, Romance, Fiction, Escapism)
- Cheryl Strayed, Wild Reads: Personal journeys rendered into narratives of courage, vulnerability, and wit. (Tags: Travel, Adventure, Heart-Led, Unputdownable, Literary, Fiction)
- Roxane Gay, Audacious Book Club: Prepare to be intrigued, challenged, and above all, entertained. (Tags: Poetry, Provocative, Romance, Feminism, Memoir, LGBTQ+)
- Jesmyn Ward, Gathering of Voices: Beautiful prose paired with clear-eyed writing about subjects that matter. (Tags: Southern Gothic, Visceral, Family, Literary, Cultural, Historical Fiction)
- Austin Kleon, Read Like an Artist: Essential reads for leading a more creative life. (Tags: Creativity, Ideas, Innovation, Meaning, Mentorship, Humor)
- Kelly McGonigal, The Joy Collective: Books that bring joy, compassion, and resilience into your life. (Tags: Psychology, Science, Courage, Wonder, Literary, Elevated)
- Atlas Obscura, Finding Wonder: Stories that ignite a passion for hidden histories and exploration. (Tags: History, Adventure, Travelogues, Food, Curios, Oddities)
- Megan Rapinoe, The Call In: Stories that ignite our collective momentum to move forward and ask the hard questions. (Tags: LGBTQ+, Memoir, Inspirational)
- Nicole Laeno, Shelf Love: Discover trending titles, and find moments of self-love in every read. (Tags: New Adult, Coming-of-Age, Mystery, Romance, Trending Books)
- Brynn Elliott, The Art of Philosophy: Explore the essentials of philosophy and see how they can be applied to your own creativity. (Tags: Fiction, Narrative Philosophy, Poetry, Art & Creativity, Inspirational)
- Tinx, Literally: Hear perspectives from iconic women in pop culture, and find inspiring, practical takeaways in their stories. (Tags: Female Voices, Pop Culture, Memoir, Nonfiction, Feminism)
- Chloé Lukasiak, Let's Escape: Take a break from the everyday and dive into the irresistible, myth- and magic-filled world of fantasy. (Tags: Young Adult, Fantasy, Strong Females, Magic, Mystery)
Once you pick a "Luminary," you'll be asked to select a membership option.
- Annual, $246/year: Annual memberships include one book per month and unlimited access to all clubs and exclusive events.
- Monthly, $26/month: Monthly memberships give you the option to skip or cancel anytime and include one book per month and unlimited access to all clubs and exclusive events.
*Choosing an annual membership will save you around $4 per month.
- Literati starts at $22 per month (if purchased as part of an annual membership), and includes one book and unlimited access to all book clubs and events, past and present.
- Monthly members can skip or cancel anytime.
- Subscribers can switch Luminaries and pop in and out of discussions and events as often as they'd like.
What do you think? Would you sign up for a subscription? Let us know in the comments.