Posted by on in Cairn Reviews, Subscription Box Reviews | Tags: | 1 comment

Cairn Subscription Box Review + Coupon – January 2017

This post may contain referral/affiliate links. If you buy something, MSA may earn a commission. Read the full disclosure.


Cairn is a subscription service that delivers outdoor gear every month. They bill their service as “Your Monthly Box of Outdoor Discovery.” My family loves to get outdoors as much as possible, and we love discovering new gear!


My Subscription Addiction pays for this subscription. (Check out the review process post to learn more about how we review boxes.)


The Subscription Box: Cairn

The Cost: $25 per month with discounts for 6- and 12- month subscriptions

COUPON: Save 50% off your first box when you sign up for Cairn’s newsletter (the offer will pop up on the homepage)

The Products: “A recurring delivery of outdoor related products sent to your doorstep! Get introduced to new brands and products, including gear, apparel, nutrition/energy, skincare, and more.”

Ships to: U.S. for free, Internationally for an additional price

Check out all of our Cairn box reviews and the Lifestyle Subscription Box Directory!

Keep Track of Your Subscriptions: Add this box to your subscription list or wishlist!


When I signed up for Cairn, they asked me to do a huge questionnaire for customization purposes. It asked questions about the types of outdoor activities I like, and I chose hiking, camping (car), backpacking, and yoga. They had loads of options, though, like rock climbing, mountain biking, fishing — just about everything I could think of! They also asked a few lifestyle questions (kids? dogs?) plus basics like t-shirt size.

All this leads me to believe that contents may vary from subscriber to subscriber, so if you subscribe but get different things, please let me know!


This is the info card that came in the package, listing out all the contents.



Running Gloves by Craft Thermal Gloves – Value $14.95

These gloves are really lightweight yet super warm! Impressive! They are also reflective and grippy on the palm side. Most importantly, however, is that they make me feel a bit like Darth Vader. I like that.


deFUNKit Hand Wash Pack – Value $9.97

File this one under super innovative! From what I understand, this is like Scotch Guard for athletic clothing. You can use it to get rid of tough smells in athletic clothing, but it also prevents body oils, scum, and fluids from bonding to clothing on a molecular level. Thus, it claims to keep your workout clothes from stinking for up to seven workouts! I find that personally pretty gross, but I think it will actually come in really handy with hiking trips.



Goop Healing Balm by All Good – Value $8.99

I have actually tried this balm before, and it works very well on burns and abrasions. I am happy to have more!



JoJo Chocolate Bark – Value $1.96

I love chocolate, and this bar was delicious! So obviously I was curious about how exactly it was calling itself guilt free. It does have some good things in it and lots of protein for its size, but I was a little bummed by their marketing tactic. It claims to be “guilt free”, “Paleo-friendly”, and it says it has only five ingredients, BUT, one of those ingredients is “70% dark chocolate.” Part of the other 30% is sugar. This just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.


We used to get an envelope from Cairn with lots of coupons in it, but Cairn recently switched to a card with all the promo codes printed on it. That’s so much handier and eco-friendly!

Verdict: We love our Cairn subscription! They seem to always send a wide variety of new things, and they tend to have at least one really innovative item. I love my new gloves! This month’s value adds up to about $36, which is great for a $25 box. Cairn’s values are consistently good!

Do you subscribe to Cairn? What are your outdoor activities? What did they send you?

Written by Anna Rodriguez

Anna Rodriguez

Anna has been a fan of subscription boxes since joining Birchbox in 2013, but didn’t become a true addict until discovering subscriptions she could share with her children. Her favorites include Kiwi Crate and Fab Kids.

All views in this review are the opinion of the author. My Subscription Addiction will never accept payment in exchange for a review, but will accept a box at no cost to provide honest opinions on the box. This post may contain affiliate/referral links. If you buy something, MSA may earn an affiliate commission. Read the complete My Subscription Addiction disclosure.

1 Comment

  1. This is a great subscription box for outdoorsy tweens. The innovative gear has been blowing our kid’s mind!

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments may not appear immediately. More info here.

Please do not enter your email address in the Name field or in the comment content!