ZEN BOX is a new monthly subscription box delivering essential oils and essential oil bends to your door. Every quarter (January, April, July and October), a 4th item is included in each box.
This box was sent to us at no cost for review. (Check out the review process post to learn more about how we review boxes.)
The Subscription Box: ZEN BOX
The Cost: The monthly cost is $39 with a promised value of $59.99. There are discounts for longer prepaid subscriptions and you can place your account on hold at any time. There is also a one oil per month subscription available for $10.99.
COUPON: Use code 20ZENIMMUNE to save 20% off any subscription for life + a bottle of Zen Immune Boost Essential Oil Blend at sign-up! (Zen Immune Boost is for both topical and inhalation, and includes essential oils to strengthen and support the immune system.)
The Products: Each month subscribers receive 3 full-size Zen Essential Oils or Zen Essential Oils Blends. In addition, subscribers receive information via email on how use the oils, what the oils do, and interesting information on how to improve overall wellness. Check out the ZEN BOX FAQs for more info.
Ships to: US, for free. ZEN BOX does not ship internationally at this time.
Keep Track of Your Subscriptions: Add this box to your subscription list or wishlist!
ZEN BOX wants to help you “build your collection, have fun & be well!” Their website states that essential oils can aid help with anxiety, restlessness, pain relief, headaches, immune system, focus and vitality and that “almost all essential oils anti-fungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and antibacterial.” If you’d like to know more about these claims, Kathy Hershelow, the founder of Sublime Beauty Naturals and ZEN BOX, just published a book on essential oils or there are plenty of other Internet sites with essential oil information.
The June ZEN BOX includes Ylang Ylang Oil, Cedarwood Oil, and Sore Muscle Essential Oil Blend.
ZEN BOX includes a business card with their contact information in the box and all other materials are sent electronically to the subscriber’s email address. I contacted ZEN BOX several times for information and received a response within the day – typically within hours. Their customer services is superb!
The information on each product and how to use it is sent as a link to a PDF document which you can see by clicking on this link. The information ZEN BOX sends is super useful and I like that they tell provide source and production information for their oils as this is one of the telltale signs of pure, high quality oils.
Zen Ylang Ylang Oil – $25.00 (on sale for $15.99)
I’ve used Ylang Ylang infused products before but never owned the oil myself. I love diffusing it! It’s sweet but not overly so. My 6 year old thinks it smells like green tea and I suppose there is a bit of grassy-ness to it but it’s definitely more sweet than earthy.
Per ZEN BOX, Ylang Ylang oil benefits include:
- Increasing blood flow
- Relieving inflammation
- Regulating heartbeat & Helping with cardiac problems
- Lifting mood, sexual desire or euphoria
- Promoting healthy intestinal function
- Helping with symptoms of PMS
- Help with epilepsy (but discuss with your doctor of course)
- Is an effective analgesic
Zen Cedarwood Oil – $19.99 (on sale for $15.99)
I love that I’m getting oils I haven’t previously owned! This oil is definitely earthy, more masculine and kind of smells like leather to me. I like it a lot but my family likes the Ylang Ylang in the diffuser more.
The ZEN BOX information says lemon oil can be used as/for the following:
- Chronic Bronchitis, coughing or agitation
- Hair loss
- Antiseptic for wounds
- Natural deodorizer for home or body
- Insect repellent
Zen Sore Muscle Essential Oil Blend – $15.99
ZEN BOX describes this blend as a natural “Icy Hot” and it definitely tingled when I applied it to my neck but not overly so. My husband used it on his legs and liked it very much. I love smelling Icy Hot and any sore muscle rub so this is right up my alley.
ZEN BOX uses the following ingredients below for the Sore Muscle Essential Oil Blend:
- Certified Organic Jojoba Oil & Sunflower Oil as the carrier oils (remember, carrier oils are the oils blended with the essential oils so that you may apply it topically.) These oils love your skin and help with absorption of the essential oils.
- Grapefruit – Helps with increased energy and uplift; helps the nervous system against exhaustion and performance stress. Helps boost circulation in and around your muscles, and is a lymphatic stimulant. Helps promote vitality.
- Lime – Is known to be restorative and helps restore energy; improves mood; promotes mood balance and muscle restoration.
- Black Pepper ‐ Helps to reduce fatigue and increases energy; helps release blocked energy that may be pent up in your muscles; boosts circulation; is an anti‐inflammatory; is fresh and dry.
- Peppermint – Awakens and refreshes, helps stimulate energy; is uplifting and clears the mind and body (specifically your muscles) of tension.
- Rosemary – Reduces stress, stimulates the mind and body.
Verdict: I like ZEN BOX a lot! I love trying new oils each month and learning about their various uses. The information ZEN BOX sends has been one of the best parts for me. I like reading the history on each oil that is included in the information they send. I always learn something new about the flower or herb and how to use the essential oil.
These oils are not the cheapest you can find but remember that it’s important to buy essential oils from a reputable supplier since they are not regulated. Many cheaper oils are cut with other oils and are not be pure. ZEN BOX says their oils are 100% pure therapeutic quality and are gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC/MS) tested, which is the way essential oils are tested for purity. The tests are conducted by Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS), a multinational company providing inspection, verification, testing and certification services. I requested to see one of the GC/MS reports and ZEN BOX sent it to me the same day. I’m certainly no expert but at this point I feel comfortable purchasing oils from ZEN BOX.
I’m happy with the value too. The box costs $39 (you can get it less the 20ZENIMMUNE coupon) and ZEN BOX promises a value of $59.99 which seems fair to me. The full price value of just the oils is $60.98 and the current sale price value of the oils is $47.97 which is still more than the cost of the full price box.
What do you think of ZEN BOX?